Posted to alt.home.repair
philkryder philkryder is offline

Default Iron In Water

A couple of suggestions that you might consider.
Step zero, get the manual for the softner.
Read it.
Understand the trouble shooting segments.

Next consider a "whole house" water filter before the softener.
If you are getting solids that clog your sink strainer, then you should
filter the inlet water to prevent clogging internal components in the
softer.

Also, as someone mentioned, the softner isn't working.
It must consume salt to work.

I use the outlet hose from my hot water heater to periodically put
water into the softner.
You can add a bunch of water and ensure that the salt melts.
Be sure you have a drain for any overflow to run into.
Using the heater drain hose gives you warm water and does the periodic
drain of the water heater.

Then force the softner to start a cycle - read your manual on how to do
that.
Then watch to ensure that the water is drawn through the system.
If it is working correctly, you should see water drawn down in the salt
tank.
You may need to shine a light into the brine well where the siphon hose
goes.

If the water isn't drawn in, then you may have a plugged siphon unit or
plugged inlets where the water enters.
You manual may tell you how to clean them.
If you are unlucky, then some of the internal seals may not be sealing.
That would be a lot of work and parts to fix.

If you were "lucky" and the water is drawn down, then your problem may
have been salt bridging. You can reduce the chances of that happening
by only filling the salt tank half full AND by putting a piece of 1
inch PVC pipe about 3 feet long at an angle in the salt. The PVC will
disrupt the lodging and bridging of the salt.

Somewhere in here, I would have the hardness tested to obtain a
hardness in GRAINS reading.
I've not heard of PPM for hardness.
You need to know the hardness to use it to set the softner controls for
hardness and gallons of water used to ensure that recycling occurs at
the correct frequency.

Good luck!
Phil

wrote:
Hello,

My sister bought a new home recently. Her well was tested before it
was closed. It was found to have a Ph of 6.6, Hardness of 110ppm, Iron
level of 0.88ppm. I do not remember the rest of the numbers. But the
water comes out with a brownish color and cloudy. It stains the tub
and toilet. Even replaced the hose to the rinser on the sink because
it was clogged.

The problem is that they have a water softening system. It's either
not working or it's not effective. The salt level never goes down,
according to them they haven't added salt yet since they moved in
because the level never dropped. I'm not sure how the system pulls
salt from the salt tank. But it's never wet inside. The main tank for
it is clearly running, it gets condensation on it from water running
through it. They don't know if it was maintained well or not. But
we're trying to figure out if it's even working right. If it needs to
be replaced, or was never the right thing that the past owners
installed in the first place. What could be wrong, what could they do
to get rid of the rust color? Any help would be appreciated. I can
try and supply any additional info if necessary.

Thanks,
Bill V.