Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default I know this ain't "this old house" but....

"No" wrote in message ...
Eigenvector wrote:
I need some home improvement ideas. Part of the problem I'm faced with
is that I have so many things that should be done that I'm losing focus
on the best way to accomplish the most important ones first. I find
myself tackling the wrong projects first, usually because they are the
easiest and provide the most direct evidence that something has been
accomplished.

I'll post some links below to areas that really need to be fixed in my
mind, but for some reason or another I can't find a reasonable way to
resolve them. None of these are my doing, rather from the previous
owner.

Basement stairway entrance.
http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P7290014.JPG

Junction between crawlspace wall, foundation, and ceiling/floor
http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P7290016.JPG

The most hazardous wiring job I've never wanted to see
http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P7290017.JPG
http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P7290018.JPG

Plumbing from bathroom. Supply lines punch through crawlspace wall, hook
to bathroom, then punch back into the crawlspace to kitchen. Big pipe is
septic tank line.
http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P7290019.JPG

Some good advice so far. Its impossible to tell from here if the wiring is
dangerous or just not done to contemporary standards.

Given what I saw in your picture I would suspect you may have other issues
as well that may not even be on your list at all.

Let me tell you a story - I worked with a family who wanted some help with
a bathroom remodel (It really needed it). The scum on the tub would have
taken a jackhammer to get off, the vanity was falling apart, the floor was
rotted, tiles were falling off the wall. They wanted to put in a new tub,
vanity and re-tile. Fine BUT, it it was a big BUT. One of the factors
contributing to some of the problems were a leaky pipe and a leaky sky
lite. The plumbing leak was fixed first. A new roof was installed and the
sky lite removed. Oh, they also had a foot of water in the crawl space,
leaky windows with no flashing, a concrete porch that was more like a
swimming pool (Contributing to water getting in the house)

Anyway - They are still working on stableizing the house. A grungy
bathroom can wait when there are major things that are eating away at your
house.

So - if you need to, get a professional to walk through your entire house
and help you with your list. You may be missing things. How is the roof?
Water in crawl space or basement? Do you have peeling paint, rot or other
damage that would get worse if not addressed? Before working down your
list I would make sure its the right list. Just my 2c.

-B

I do appreciate your input. I did have someone give a thorough walkthrough
and basically all the major stuff is on hold until I can scrounge up the
multi-thousands it will cost. The basics, I can squeeze them in with
leftovers from the bills. I know of two major repairs that will cost me -
upgrading the service to 200 A grounded and replacing all the windows with
insulated ones.