Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Another "Should I Buy This House" Question :)

wrote in message

A huge drainage pipe abuts the "point" of the triangular lot, at a very
steep pitch, next to which sits one of the biggest oak trees I
personally have ever seen. The township officials insist this tree
belongs to the property, but the neighbors (most of them elderly or
middle-aged) claim no one knows who "owns" the oak tree.

A survey will turn up the owner once the proertyline is extablished, YOu may
want to have an arborits look at the health of the tree. They can last for
many years, but eventually it will die and come down. Worth checking into
if its demise will cause problems.

Thank you for reading this. I've never wanted to go ahead with a home
purchase more in my life, but if surveying costs,
ownership/custodianship of a monster oak, and above all, this "burning"
smell are overwhelming liabilities, then I'll pass. The quaintness,
setting, and almost Alpine-like view made me decide to risk making the
post and being laughed at. They're all too beautiful to pass up
without getting some feedback.

Not knowing your abilities and time you can devote, it is hard to say.
Sounds like a fairly major renovation is in order, especially if the plaster
is damaged by the mold or whatever it is. From what you have describe, two
years and $25000 is not out of the question. There are those that enjoy
that work others loath it.