Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,sci.chem.electrochem.battery
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Battery memory( NiCad) Pulse charge it !!

In article , Jim Yanik wrote:
Keith Williams wrote in
ET:

In article .com,
says...
1) Pulse charge and it will return to full energy if it is
still in infancy .

Never deep cycle any battery . Batterys die for being NOT fully
charged . Leave them discharged is to shorten life .

Nonsense. NiCDs and NiMH batteries love to be discharged.

Agreed.

That's
the only way to store them for long periods.

That's wrong.
They should be stored CHARGED.
Do you have any cites for your claim?

Don't "reverse
charge" cell(s) in a multi-cell battery by discharging it below
about 1V/cell though. They can be left to self discharge without
damage. A single cell battery can be discharged to zero.

OTOH, lead-acid batteries must never be fully discharged and must
be stored with a float charge. Lead-acid batteries are thus better
for things like flashlights, UPSs, safety lighting, and such.

2) NimH and Nicad lose 10% in 1 day , Li-Ion lose 1% .

Not any more. NiCds may be 20% per month, usually less.

NiCd Figures I've seen are ~5% self-discharge/day.
Storage temperature greatly affects this.

I have seen datasheets for NiMH cells indicating that the self discharge
rate decreases as self discharge progresses. A cell could self-discharge
5% in a day but less than 20% in a week. I would suspect NiCd can do
something similar.

- Don Klipstein )