Posted to alt.home.repair
Craven Morehead Craven Morehead is offline

Default Hidden Deck Fasteners

Background:
I have just completed my own deck rehab using both "Eb-Ty" and the "Tiger
Claw" systems. The former 2 level deck was original to the house and was
not maintained over the previous 18 years.

All of the original deck boards were removed and replaced with composite
decking although my comments apply for your cedar deck, as well. I've used
Trex at another house and was pleased, but ended up using Home Depot's
brand, "Veranda" because it was a few dollars cheaper than all other
composites and (I believed) it would always be available. The lower deck
was demolished and completed last Fall. This Spring the much larger main
deck was started.

I decided I wanted to use some form of hidden fastener and began the lower
deck with Eb-Ty fasteners, bought via Amazon, online. The Eb-Ty's come with
stainless steel screws. As you may know, each deck board must have slots
cut in each edge, as it passes over each joist. I bought a Ryobi biscuit
cutter from Home Cheapo for $99. Also, each board needs to be glued to the
under lying joist with construction adhesive. With a little practice,
installation is not difficult but does require a few steps and more time
that throwing nails into some pressure treated boards.

My lower deck is made up of adjacent 4' x 4' sections with one section's
deck boards running in one direction and the next section's boards running
90 degrees to the first. (I can see I will need to upload a picture or
two). Although the Eb-Ty's worked ok, I thought it might be better to use a
system that was available locally, not via Amazon. Therefore, back to HD to
buy a box of Tiger Claw fasteners (stainless screws purchase separately).
This system does not require slots cut in each board (and therefore no
biscuit cutter). Further, boards do not need to be glued down. However,
each deck board must be attached to the previous board, using a sledge
hammer. Not too difficult when dealing with 4' boards but this becomes
problematic with longer 12' or 16' deck boards.

The ultimate decision was helped along when I went back to Home Creepo to
buy another box of Tiger Claws and was told they don't carry them any
more!!! Anywhere. At any store. My complaints included the fact that I
was in the middle of a substantial project and now find out my supplier (HD)
has chosen to drop a key component. Their position: "Oh well...."
I immediately jumped online to Amazon and ordered 4 more boxes of Eb-Ty
fasteners. Next stop was Lowes to get a carton of Liquid Nails. The
finished project looks quite nice and it's amazing how many visitors notice
that no nails / screws are used.

As we were about half way thru the big deck, it became apparent the cutter
blade on the Ryobi biscuit cutter was getting dull and needed to be
replaced. Since Ryobi is a HD brand, that's where I went for a blade.
Guess what...they don't carry 'em! Their OWN BRAND and they don't have
cutters! I promptly went home, got the bisquit cutter cleaned up real good
and returned it to Home Crappo. I then used my store credit to buy a new
one. (BTW, this was suggested by one of the orange aproned guys. I don't
feel his idea was influenced at all by the fact that my hands were firmly
around his neck).

Finally, as is typical, I ultimately had to buy some additional Veranda deck
boards. Surprise! The color of new boards doesn't match older boards.
Sometimes not close. I know, I know...I was warned to buy all decking at
one time but sometimes this isn't feasible. I'm hoping as the boards fade,
they will more closely match.

If I were to do this project again, I would still go with Eb-Ty but would
probably select another brand of composite. There are way too many
alternatives that look very nice. One other surprise. Veranda gets hotter
that hell in the sun. Not good for bare feet. Apparently some other brands
advertise they stay cool.

I'll work on pictures.

"Duke1973" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am building a cedar deck which will be about a foot and a half off
the ground (hard to work underneath). I have been debating using
hidden deck fasteners instead of screws and wondering if anyone had
suggestions. I have been looking at the Tiger Claws and thinking
that they might be better to use considering that I can't really get
under the deck. Deckmaster looks pretty good as well. EB-TY looks
like to much of a pain to use and too many steps to go through for each
piece. Another thing about the Tiger Claw is that is spaces the boards
for you as compared to the Deckmaster.

Does anyone have any suggestions, comments or evalutions of the
products I mentioned above.

Thanks

Ryan,
Toronto, Ont.