Posted to alt.home.repair
Martik Martik is offline

Default Floor tile layout

"Keith Williams" wrote in message
T...
In article Qo8Cg.193587$S61.90376@edtnps90,
says...

"Keith Williams" wrote in message
T...
In article g4VBg.158920$I61.83657@clgrps13,
says...
http://www3.telus.net/shared/entry%20002.jpg

Need a few ideas on a layout for the best appearance. The picture is
from
the entry door. The width is 62" and length is 138", tiles are 12x12.
The
carpeted landing insets 4" as does the left side door entry. As you
can
see
it is just slightly too wide for 5 full tiles, gaps will need to be
over
1/4" or I could use a wider transition?

It looks like the only place it's too wide is on the left side
doorway. It looks like that's sunken a bit though. If not, you
could put a marble saddle in that doorway. It looks like the door
jamb has been cut back too. You might want to build up the floor
to that level (backer + tile) so the gap doesn't show. A white
marble saddle could then be cut to the width of the jam, making the
white accent straight around. In any case, you should start from
the middle, making the edge tiles as large as possible.

Yes, diagonal would look good too. I've never been sure about how
to start such a layout though. ;-/

You might also throw this into a CAD program to see how it lays
out. I used A9CAD (freeware) for my bathroom. I put the outline
on one level, floor joists on a level, subfloor on one, backer on
the fourth, and tile on the fifth. I wanted to make sure the seams
in the backer fell over the joists and not on the subfloor seams.
The best tile layout fell out with just a little tweaking (bad
layouts were obvious). It all worked just like the computer said
it would. ;-)

How do you create the diagonal tiles and move them as a unit in A9CAD?

I didn't, mine are straight (can't figure out how to start a
diagonal layout). Anyway, you make one tile using line segments
then copy/paste that, with gravity and snap on. I'm pretty new
(very) to A9CAD so I didn't figure out how to trim the tiles
outside the walls. No biggie.

Thanks, here are some tips diagonal layout:
http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/artic...ticle_id=60275