Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Warner Frank Warner is offline

Default Damaged Asbestos Tiling Repair HELP

In article .com,
KittiKat wrote:

I need some advice,

[snippage]

Is the best thing to do to not touch any more damage and just get new
plywood laid on top of damaged tiles and then put a rug down??? Or, do
we get the whole thing ripped out???? I realize the exposure to this is
serious, my entire family throughout the years has been exposed to this
everytime they were in the house. I understand that *most* health
problems have been linked to repeated, prolonged exposure....I am also

Not most. *All.* And that means heavy exposure to raw, airborne
asbestos fibers, such as you might find in a mining environment, eight
hours a day for 20-30 years with no respirator. You and all other
homeowners have nothing to worry about from asbestos floor tiles,
popcorn ceilings or Transite siding. Tear it out. Take it to the
landfill. Put new stuff in. That's all you have to do. You inhale more
and nastier stuff on a typical day at the beach.

The lawyers have really got you all scared on this issue. And they are
the only ones benefitting from it.

wondering if the cut back glue, which is black, once saturated with
water, would release harmful odours into the air??? There has been a
smell down there, that we attributed to "basement smell" for years, but
now I'm wondering if it is the glue.....We would like to eventually
sell the house....Please advise.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work: