Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew J. Newton Mathew J. Newton is offline

Default The biggest B&Q markup... ever?

Firstly, we all know B&Q can be a tad pricey sometimes however this is
often offset by the convenience of opening times, ability to thoroughly
inspect potential purchases without pressure, practically no-quibble
returns policy etc... Having said that whilst I may have 3 giant B&Q
warehouses here in Bristol to choose from I've also got Screwfix and
Toolstation trade counters on my doorstep offering similar benefits.

However, today I think I may have stumbled across the biggest price
difference yet... I popped in to a B&Q on my way home from work to pick up
a 10-pack of hammer fixings... Price £6.48. How much?! I've not used them
before and so at this price I thought it best to check what SF/TS sell
them for - half that possibly? I dug the Toolstation catalogue out of the
car and found they were 56p! (here they a
http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=32413)

I asked a member of staff whether they'd price-match Toolstation and they
seemingly-reluctantly said they would... until they discovered the £6.48
vs 56p price differential! At that point the manager was called over who
tried to wriggle out of the 'price promise' by claiming that Toolstation
didn't sell to the public and that they were 56p *each*, and with VAT on
top. I got him to call them where he was set straight - he took the
opportunity to check stock levels... they had thousands.

He finally gave in and matched the price, along with knocking an extra 10%
off as per the promise.

Luckily I do have morals - otherwise I'd now be buying them by the dozen
at the low price and taking them back to other stores without a receipt
and claiming £6 odd in vouchers per pack... I wonder how many do this?

Bizarrely, whilst I'd got them at a lower price I still felt like I'd be
ripped off... it must've been the realisation that I very nearly had.

Mathew