Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] chris_doran@postmaster.co.uk is offline

Default Rewiring garden pond pump?

Douglas de Lacey wrote:
I have an old pump (Lotus "Little Gem") which is still working fine (so
am loath to throw it away) but the cable is becoming very degraded: the
outer rubber cover is cracking away in several places. As far as I can
see the cable just disappears into a lump of resin(?) in the body of the
pump. Any thoughts about digging this out and replacing it (with
silicone?) -- or am I really onto a loser here?

Douglas de Lacey

Hoe about heat-shrink sleeving + good dollop of silicone where it
enters the pump? You need only do the underwater bit that way. If it's
bad all the way up the garden, you can use something like
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BRH65Z.html to splice on the rest.
I'm assuming that H-SS is OK for immersion and UV-proof You could add
an outer sheath of hosepipe for good measure.

Chris