Allan Adler

Default pumps

After looking at Gingery's book, "How to design and build centrifugal fans
for the home shop" and at Paul Garay's book, "Pump application desk book",
3d ed., I have the impression that it is fair to classify a fan as a special
kind of pump. Assuming that is correct, would it also be correct to conclude
that minor modifications of Gingery's centrifugal fan designs might make it
possible also to build vacuum pumps, water pumps, etc.?

Garay's book doesn't tell you how to build pumps, although it seems to have
a lot of useful information. If there is a book that tells you how to build
your own pumps (assuming that is a realistic project for someone with a metal
shop, which I am not), I'd be glad to know about it.

Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

* *
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
* Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
* in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
* metropolitan area. *
* *