Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default comments skew posted wrong NG

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 06:51:32 -0400, "Tom Nie" wrote:

I, for one, have problems using the skew. But as I think about it when
you're doing a shear cut at about 45 degrees with a fingernail gouge it
would seem you're duplicating the attitude of a skew which could explain why
that cut does such a smooth finish job.

It's just that any skew I use has a mind of its own sometimes - most times
as I'm nearing the finished form (redesign opportunity as in from a chicken
egg to finally a hummingbird egg). I'd say that's because on a gouge there's
no corner to grab and sail.

But the scraper with frequent touches of a stone to keep a burr does a great
final touch up before sanding on a lot of jobs. And I forget where I read it
but shaping with a disc sander while the piece is turning is an excellent
way around spalted tearout problems.

Probably I should just grab some firewood and keep skewing around - Mac -
until I learn how.

TomNie

ok.. another chance to answer it... *g*

I hate spindle work, but it's the best way to "master" the skew, IMO...

Put some scrap between centers and just PLAY... make it fun, mostly by giving
yourself permission to not be MAKING something, just playing...

Round the stock with the tool of choice and smooth it with the skew...
experiment with rotating the point up or down and moving in different
directions...
Roll it from level to point down and watch the nice bead it makes... flip it
over and to the other side, etc....

If you're getting catches, grind an old skew with a "moon" shape... the sweet
spot straight with the point and heel ground slightly back...

I really didn't consider the skew a useful tool, or at least one that I used
often, until I got into pens... what an education pens are!
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis