Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie Tom Nie is offline

Default comments skew posted wrong NG

I, for one, have problems using the skew. But as I think about it when
you're doing a shear cut at about 45 degrees with a fingernail gouge it
would seem you're duplicating the attitude of a skew which could explain why
that cut does such a smooth finish job.

It's just that any skew I use has a mind of its own sometimes - most times
as I'm nearing the finished form (redesign opportunity as in from a chicken
egg to finally a hummingbird egg). I'd say that's because on a gouge there's
no corner to grab and sail.

But the scraper with frequent touches of a stone to keep a burr does a great
final touch up before sanding on a lot of jobs. And I forget where I read it
but shaping with a disc sander while the piece is turning is an excellent
way around spalted tearout problems.

Probably I should just grab some firewood and keep skewing around - Mac -
until I learn how.

TomNie