Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Hanging used solid core doors

wrote in message
oups.com...

Leon wrote:

Robert, do you see particle or plywood joor jams these days?

I really on see wood. Mostly some kind of Chilean cousin of pine that
is hard as a rock.

I guess that could be WSYP, Way Southern Yellow Pine, ;~)

I am doing a lot of installs and finishing of
interior and exterior doors of a local lumberyard and I have steered
them away from particle board and anything else.

By the time they figured out the price between the mystery South
American hardwood and the particle board it wasn't that great, and if
the mystery wood is to painted (like you would MDF) they use the cheap
finger jointed stuff anyway.

The custom doors they make or sell have hardwood jambs to match the
doors, but that has gotten so expensive due to the cost of solid jamb
material that most people opt out and just get paint grade frames.

I hate the MDF frames as it almost double the amount of shims I have to
put in. That stuff is so limber and moves so much (even with one coat
of primer and two coats finish) that you really have to secure it. It
is hard to get and keep the margins really straight.

I was totally unaware that non solid wood door jams were available. In
Houston I have only seen solid wood jams, I certainly would not want a door
hanging on less especially with a solid core door. I can understand MDF
doors as you can use a longer screw to secure the hinge to the door however
the jam side of the hinge cannot use a long screw unless as you well know
you replace all the screws after installation.

Thanks for the info.