Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Hanging used solid core doors

wrote in message
ups.com...
I got my hands on 30 finished solid core doors including hinges and
Schlage locks. They are mortised and drilled. No Jams! I could buy
pine and make the jams, but I really don't like pine. Birch would go
with the remainder of the woodwork in the house, but at $3 - $4 a
board foot for rough cut in varying widths, and all the work in
preparation, it will cost a fortune and take forever.

Would birch ply be strong enough, and hard enough, to withstand the
wear and tear of daily living? The surface that shows would be
hardwood. Very little of the edges show and could easily be finished
with 1/4 inch strips of real birch.

Len

I would not consider anything but solid wood, especially for heavy doors.
IMHO until you get into the plywood's that cost about the same as solid
wood, plywood looks like plywood regardless of whether you hide the edges or
not.