Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] electricutioner@the-chair.com is offline

Default light switch makers

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 18:32:19 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

I'm replacing some of the switches in my house because they are beginning to
spark. So I'm trying to figure out what switches to get. Talking to my
buddy who just renovated his place, and who also happens to be the Martha
Stewart of the male world is telling me to get these Leviton Decra switches
because they're the best. That's fine, I enjoy his sense of style and he
has demonstrated a good understanding of quality over looks (I just think he
spends WAYYY too much on home improvement). I guess my question is - is it
worth it? Not the Decra switches, but Leviton over someone else - I see
Cooper all over the place for instance. Is there a benefit to going with a
premium quality switch over the ones in the "that pile over there" bin?

To get better control of those sparks requires a special touch. You
can not just use a switch because switches do not allow for the
duration of contact nor the pressure applied to the contact. I'd
remove the switches completely and just let the wires hang out of the
wall. When you want to turn on a light, take the two wires and
manually touch them together with your hands. You'll soon learn just
how fast or slow to move them, and how much pressure to apply to
achieve different amounts of sparking. Your goal is to do it at just
the correct speed so that the wires contact each other between the AC
cycles. Remember, there are 60 cycles every second, so you have
1/60th of a second to make contact. Then, the amount of pressure is
important. Too loose will cause excessive sparking. Too tight will
cause the wire to break. In a few months of practice you will become
a pro. As a side note, you will need to form interlocking hooks on
the wires so they stay together after you touch them together. That's
unless you prefer to stand there and hold them whenever you want
light.