Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa Teamcasa is offline

Default Traditional M&T joints or floating Tennon joints?

"mcgyver" wrote in message
Building an old growth fir front door. 2 Rails and 2 stiles(42"x80") which
will have a 30"x60" double pane of glass in the middle. I'm going back
and forth on traditional M&T joints or a floating tenon joint done with my
plunge router (I've done lots of these joints before) I'm concerned about
the strength and particularly whether this joint will support the racking
forces once the door is hung. I'm thinking 1/2" think tenons by 5" wide
and 2 1/2" deep mortices. Any suggestions on the sizes needed to keep
this together?

Assumptions:
6" wide stiles
10" wide rails
1-3/4" thick

I believe that a traditional mortise and tenon is slightly stronger.
However, if I was building this door,
I would not hesitate to use floating tenons. Although in this case, I would
use 2, 3/8"x 5"wide x 6" deep tenons on each joint. I would also epoxy
them. Do NOT forget to cut a glue relief slot or two in each of the tenons.
DAMHIKT!

Dave

http://www.usenet.com