Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,misc.survivalism
NewsJunky NewsJunky is offline

Default OT - Basic Skills in Today's World

It's disapointing that in the four or so years that I've had a shop in
my garage, not one kid has asked me anything about it.

Jeff Polaski

I hadn't thought of that. My neighbors always pop in to see what is going on
(65+), but never a kid from the neighborhood. I can remember as a child,
going to the garage that was making the most noise. Grinding sparks could
draw me blocks! I always wanted to weld, but didn't try it until I was over
40. Damn I was missing some fun.

I also spent MANY summer days watching the construction of the homes in my
area. I am sure I bugged the crap out of the guys, but there is not a
construction project I won't take on because of inability. I have done
everything for a large addition. Including digging for the footings by hand!

Ok, to prevent some of the backlash--- I was in no hurry, and I could only
get something that was 3½ feet wide in the backyard, so I dug it by hand.
And for the rest of you--- my community allows homeowners that can show
competency the option of pulling a "homeowner" permit for all phases. So I
had to do that for footing/stem wall, rough framing, rough plumbing, rough
electrical, final plumbing, and final electrical. Damn expensive for all
those permits, but I did it legal.