Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rewiring garden pond pump?

Douglas de Lacey wrote:

Thanks very much:-)
Seriously, I'd like to do a bit of a Gedankexperiment. As I said, the
rubber outer has degraded badly and there are places where the inner
cables are exposed. If either of positive or neutral sheath degrades, we
are in danger of David's worst case scenario. Could this be ameliorated
with a 4-core cable, with a second earth just left exposed at the pump
inlet?

I dont see how this would solve the risk problem.

(I don't know where the present earth goes, but the pump appears
to be exclusively plastic and ceramic at the accessible level.) Or could
I simply earth the pond?

Pond is already earthed. Solutions have already been explained. Taking
strips of 100% synthetic cloth, squish silicone into them and applying
would give a reinforced waterproof outer sheath.

NT