Posted to uk.d-i-y
Douglas de Lacey Douglas de Lacey is offline

Default Rewiring garden pond pump?

David Hansen wrote:
On 08 Aug 2006 08:25:32 GMT someone who may be
wrote this:-

How will a person touching any part of this offer a lower impedance to
earth than the water itself? Or, on the other hand, how will any
part that can be touched have a significant voltage on it?

Feel free to experiment, at your own risk.

Thanks very much:-)
Seriously, I'd like to do a bit of a Gedankexperiment. As I said, the
rubber outer has degraded badly and there are places where the inner
cables are exposed. If either of positive or neutral sheath degrades, we
are in danger of David's worst case scenario. Could this be ameliorated
with a 4-core cable, with a second earth just left exposed at the pump
inlet? (I don't know where the present earth goes, but the pump appears
to be exclusively plastic and ceramic at the accessible level.) Or could
I simply earth the pond?

Douglas de Lacey