Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default Best Epoxy

I've used a number of epoxies but have no favorites. Yes, I've noticed
that Devcon seems to specialize in adhesive products and they've been
around a long while. I'd tend to trust them over a brand I'm not
familiar with if I'm concerned with maximum performance.

I pretty much agree with the things that Don had to say, although my
experience isn't extensive.

One thing I've done for a long time is save grindings of steel and add
them to epoxy many times when I want extra strength. I got this idea
when I bought a "steel filled" epoxy that was marketed as having
exceptional strength. My reasoning is:

1. The embedded steel filings will add strength just by virtue of the
toughness of the steel.

2. Having a lot of rough surface area of embedded steel particles will
add to rather than diminish the toughness of the glue in resisting
breaking loose.

3. Adding the steel particles will increase the volume of the glue, so
it's more economical to use it this way.