Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default Clogged tub drain

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 23:01:37 GMT, Speedy Jim wrote:

wrote:
:
: are you CERTAIN the snake is clearing the drum trap? Old homes often
: have drum traps tried snaking one once snake just rolls up inside of
: it.......
:
: I suggest you access the line from below and snake from there.
:
:
: Yeah, that's good advice. 1913 would certainly have had drum trap
riginally.

?

What's a drum trap and where would it be?

The tub is located 12" from the wall that houses the vent pipe. The tub
drain joins the overflow pipe and goes straight down into the bathroom
floor 12" from the nearest part of the wall. The guy who was helping me
says he assume the pipe then angles toward the vent pipe in the wall,
and hopefully joins it at a gradual angle.

I see (and can imagine) no trap or cleanout. Where would that be and
what would it look like?

Thanks!