Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Ann Ann is offline

Default Wood Powered Car ?

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 05:35:34 -0500, Dean Hoffman wrote:

In article
,
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

wrote in message

Years ago I knew a fellow who heated his home with wood and was

proud
of it.

Good grief! Don't most people on farms still do that?

Not too many as far as I can tell. I don't see a lot of woodpiles
in the yards. I think wood burning stoves make insurance companies
nervous. Propane and natural gas are probably the most common in my
area.

Coal was more commonly used here (than wood) until the natural gas
pipeline went through 50+ years ago. Chain saws made it easier to cut
wood, but it's still labor intensive. A few people have the outdoor wood
furnaces. And, enough people bought wood pellet stoves last year that
there was a shortage of pellets and the price doubled. It might be a
different story if wood was the primary heat source, but my insurance
company is ok with wood stoves.

One of the local farm stores started selling corn burning stoves last
year. I've thought about it. I don't know if it would be allowed in my
neighborhood due to the storage.

Dean