Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV RayV is offline

Default Floor tile layout

Martik wrote:
http://www3.telus.net/shared/entry%20002.jpg

Need a few ideas on a layout for the best appearance. The picture is from
the entry door. The width is 62" and length is 138", tiles are 12x12. The
carpeted landing insets 4" as does the left side door entry. As you can see
it is just slightly too wide for 5 full tiles, gaps will need to be over
1/4" or I could use a wider transition?

12" tiles installed on a 45deg angle would look good in that space; it
needs something to break it up. I did that in our kitchen that was
just a tad too small for an island and it looks great. The 45deg
layout is simple to do and looks as though you imported guys from Italy
to put it in.

Just spend the time to shift the tiles until you have good size pieces
at all of the doorways/steps. I had four transitions to deal with as
well and it took a few tries but eventually I ended up with close to a
half tile at every doorway. You don't have to worry about having
small pieces (triangles) along the walls or in corners because they
won't be noticed or walked on just worry about the doorways and
steps. Only drawback is you will have to make a lot of cuts and may
have a lot of waste depending on where the cuts land but it is worth
it.

Buy a cheap wetsaw or rent one.
Use concrete backerboard or similar.
Use a dark grout and forget the non-working sealers
Change that register or at least paint it white :-)

Maybe try this softwa
http://www.tilegem.com/applications.htm