Posted to rec.woodworking
mcgyver mcgyver is offline

Default Traditional M&T joints or floating Tennon joints?

Building an old growth fir front door. 2 Rails and 2 stiles(42"x80") which
will have a 30"x60" double pane of glass in the middle. I'm going back and
forth on traditional M&T joints or a floating tenon joint done with my
plunge router (I've done lots of these joints before) I'm concerned about
the strength and particularly whether this joint will support the racking
forces once the door is hung. I'm thinking 1/2" think tenons by 5" wide and
2 1/2" deep mortices. Any suggestions on the sizes needed to keep this
together?