Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default Rewiring garden pond pump?

wrote in message
Clive George wrote:
wrote in message

I assume that the circuit is RCD protected. Do you really want to
trust your life (and the lives of family and friends) to a piece of
mechanical equipment that is not 100% reliable? All for the sake of
a few pounds.

How is anyone going to get killed (or even injured) by it? One's life
doesn't depend on the operation of a pond pump usually.

The pond pumps I've seen have mains cables going underwater. Seems like
they
rely very much on maintaining the insulation and seals. Replacing the
cable
will inevitably disturb these, and if you do get it wrong, then it's not
the
operation of the pump which you're worried about, it's the elecric water
feature you now have.

That still doesn't explain how I (or anyone else) gets killed by it,
how does the 'electric water' get to you?

One is standing in the garden and dangles ones fingers in the pretty
waterfall. Or similar.

(isn't that _really_ obvious?)

clive