Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Morse Morse is offline

Default 9v Protection Diodes?

"me" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

I have a friend's DMM that wouldn't power up. I opened the case and found
that there was a power to ground short. The short is being caused by a
SMT diode that is across the 9v battery wires on the PCB. I lifted one
side of the diode and the diode is shorted and burned pretty badly. I
powered up the DMM briefly and everything seems to be working ok. I want
to know if anyone has any suggestions on what type of diode should I use
to replace the shorted diode. It doesn't have to be a SMT diode. I am
guessing that is a protection diode and not a zener since most of the ICs
run off of 9v according to their datasheets. Any help would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jason

I'd look for a convenient point on the PCB to solder in something more
substantial like a 1N4001 or similar. Across the solder pads where the
battery leads are soldered to the PCB would be fine, just make sure you get
it round the right way, ie the white band to the positive terminal.

If your friend's a bit accident prone or absent minded I certainly wouldn't
give him it back with no diode- the first time he touches the battery to the
terminals the wrong way round he'll have an ex-DMM!

Dave