Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default What do contractors do when they have to go to the bathroom?

In article . com,
"Larry Bud" wrote:

On a lighter topic, this came up in a local morning show in Detroit.

Working outdoors and rarely at the same place for more than a few hours, this
is right up my... alley!

For the usual ahem "stand up" relief, an opened door on the cab or utility
box of the truck usually suffices.

Fortunately, I have NEVER had a true EMERGENCY for the other function where I
was compelled to use something other than a "proper" receptacle. I usually
drive to a convenience store or service station. Occasionally I will politely
ask the homeowner's permission to use their bathroom.

I would like to think that I am NOT the exception in that I am consciously
fastidious (clean) but my use of public restrooms causes me to suspect
otherwise. Still, I have never been denied permission by a homeowner and take
care care to leave the place as good, or better, than I found it. I can
assure you that I have never done anything that would rate inclusion in a
compilation of "horror stories" on a TV show.

I do know, however, there has been a BIG change in the construction industry
in the last 10-20 years: Portable toilets are the norm now.

I used to NEVER see a portable toilet at a single home construction site.
They are almost ALWAYS present now.

When my home was under construction in 1991, I learned the hard way that
"dumpster diving" could be a hazardous ventu Empty ceramic tile cartons
are the PERFECT size for an urgent "sit down" job. I suspect they are used to
this day for that purpose where a P.T. isn't available.

I also learned the hard way to be careful where I kneel outdoors next to a new
home when digging-in the buried phone drop: "Inside" corners that are mostly
"private" are frequently used as stand-up latrines during construction.

There are several vendors for disposable urinal bags. A relatively new
innovation, these handy items contain an absorbent powder. They will easily
accommodate any "normal" single use. The powder gels-up, the bag is tied at
the top and placed in any proper trash receptacle. A handy "fresh wipe"
towelette is also provided!

Well, you asked...
--

JR