Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OK, you clever guys, will a windmill in my backyard cut down on the pleasant breeze.

On 7 Aug 2006 08:52:47 -0700, "Larry Bud"
wrote:

mm wrote:
On 6 Aug 2006 17:45:04 -0700, "dpb" wrote:

mm wrote:
... will a windmill in my backyard cut down on the pleasant breeze?

A 6-8' diameter imperfectly efficient fan is going to noticeably affect
the amount of wind except for a very short distance directly downwind
how???

I'm asking you guys. All I know is one doesn't get something for
nothing. Assume there is more than one windmill, that the maximum
number for maximum electric generation are there. I don't know if
that means everyone has one in his back yard or not.

You aren't getting something for nothing. The wind blows because of
difference in high and low pressure zones. Wind "blows" from high to
low pressure. Those pressure differences occur from a complex system
on our planet, fueled by the sun (sun heat the ground and water, causes
evaporation and temp differences, yada, yada, yada).

A windmill isn't going to stop that from happening. I suppose if you
had 50 wind mills all next to each other (and blocking each other) at
ground level, you'd notice a decrease in the breeze similar to the way
your house or a tree blocks wind, but the wind mill is way up off the
ground, and it won't block the wind any more than a little sapling.

Tnat's good to hear. Thanks.