Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Land Jim Land is offline

Default 9v Protection Diodes?

Ken Weitzel wrote in
newshRBg.332437$Mn5.252184@pd7tw3no:

me wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I have a friend's DMM that wouldn't power up. I opened the case and
found that there was a power to ground short. The short is being
caused by a SMT diode that is across the 9v battery wires on the PCB.
I lifted one side of the diode and the diode is shorted and burned
pretty badly.
I powered up the DMM briefly and everything seems to be working ok.
want to know if anyone has any suggestions on what type of diode
should I use to replace the shorted diode. It doesn't have to be a
SMT diode.
I am guessing that is a protection diode and not a zener since most
of
the ICs run off of 9v according to their datasheets. Any help would
be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Can't think of any reason you'd need one at all, unless you plan
on somehow installing the battery backwards

Sounds like someone momentarily touched the battery terminals backward
and the diode forward-conducted and blew out. Conclusion: a surface-
mount diode doesn't work for backwards-connection protection, it just
self-destructs. Unsolder the diode and leave it out of the circuit.