Posted to sci.electronics.repair
t.hoehler t.hoehler is offline

Default Acer Monitor 77e Slow To Warm Up

"John Keiser" wrote in message
I leave my Acer 77e on all the time. Ocassionally when the PC wakes up in
the morning, the screen remains dark and fuzzy for 15 minutes or so and
then gradually becomes perfect.
This may happen once a month or less.
Usually all is OK afterwards but yesterday the dark/fuzzy condition wuld
recur after any hibernation.
Its OK this morning.
I expect I'll have an impossible task in trying to find the weak/failing
component [capacitor?] since the condition is intermittent.
I've read Goldwasser's FAQ's
I have a schematic.
Any better clues for this model?
Thank you.

I had the same problem with a 17" PC monitor, the fix was to remove the crt
socket and clean the socket and crt pins. Seems like there was a darkish
oxide on the pins/socket causing the heater voltage to drop enough to give a
soft, fuzzy pix. I guess enough current thru the pins eventually cleared up
the problem, because when the picture was normal, it was perfect. An aging
crt never looks really good - so I would try this first. Be sure to be
careful because the focus voltage also goes thru this connector and it will
knock you on your ass - don't ask me how I know g!
regards,
Tom