Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken Weitzel Ken Weitzel is offline

Default 9v Protection Diodes?

me wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I have a friend's DMM that wouldn't power up. I opened the case and
found that there was a power to ground short. The short is being caused
by a SMT diode that is across the 9v battery wires on the PCB. I lifted
one side of the diode and the diode is shorted and burned pretty badly.
I powered up the DMM briefly and everything seems to be working ok. I
want to know if anyone has any suggestions on what type of diode should
I use to replace the shorted diode. It doesn't have to be a SMT diode.
I am guessing that is a protection diode and not a zener since most of
the ICs run off of 9v according to their datasheets. Any help would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jason

Hi Jason...

Can't think of any reason you'd need one at all, unless you plan
on somehow installing the battery backwards

Take care.

Ken