Posted to sci.electronics.repair
me me is offline

Default 9v Protection Diodes?

Hi Everyone,

I have a friend's DMM that wouldn't power up. I opened the case and
found that there was a power to ground short. The short is being caused
by a SMT diode that is across the 9v battery wires on the PCB. I lifted
one side of the diode and the diode is shorted and burned pretty badly.
I powered up the DMM briefly and everything seems to be working ok. I
want to know if anyone has any suggestions on what type of diode should
I use to replace the shorted diode. It doesn't have to be a SMT diode.
I am guessing that is a protection diode and not a zener since most of
the ICs run off of 9v according to their datasheets. Any help would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jason