Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default OT - Basic Skills in Today's World

Steve W. wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Trevor Jones wrote:

It is in fact not only possible, but pretty easy to do. A simple set
of
hand tools and a Haynes or Chilton manual for your vehicle, and you or
anyone else is quite capable of changing the oil, belts, or various
electrical components like starters or alternators, at home or on the
roadside.

snip

Totally impractical to try to work on an automobile today.

If you live in an urban area, many places do not permit working on a
car, especially outside, even on your own property, much less a rental
unit.

Want to change your oil?

6 qts of oil, an air and oil filter costs as much or more than paying
for that same service down at the corner gas station, in this area at
least, never mind the used oil disposal process and cost.

BULL.
New oil - 12.00 for mid line oil in quarts. Filter - 3-4 bucks.
Oil disposal fee? No place selling oil can charge you a fee legally. The
law states that ANY business selling new oil MUST accept used oil for
recycling, at NO CHARGE. Cost 0.00 Drop off the used oil from the
vehicle when you buy the new oil. You can even pour it back into the
empty bottles to save on container expense.
Benefits to the owner: YOU know the oil was changed, while under there
YOU can look over the engine and underside of the vehicle and look for
problems or leaks. While under the vehicle YOU can also grease any items
that can be greased, this has the side benefit of lowering wear on items
that should be lubed but usually are not.

Sort of makes changing your own oil a non productive process.

Want to change the coolant every couple of years?

Again you face a toxic waste disposal problem which does not include
being able to pour used coolant into the sewer.

And again you can return the used coolant to any store that does coolant
changes for free. And again you can return it when you buy the new
coolant.

The plugs on my vehicle are good for 100,000 miles and require special
tools to change. Think I'll pass on that one.

Not likely. Just a normal plug wrench for any plug on the market today.
You may need a torx bit or similar item if you need to remove a coil
pack or pull a cover but those are hardly special tools.

Most people don't keep a vehicle 100,000 miles like I do so they don't
even have to think about changing plugs and wires.

Nope because they have the same attitude you have, that it is easier to
trade them than to LEARN how to repair them.

More like they get sick of riding around in something that looks like it has
100,000 miles on it. Simple fact is that when something goes wrong with a
modern car it's generally an expensive piece of non-field-repairable
electronics or something that requires a lift and a well equipped shop.

Matter of fact, most of today's vehicles have a pretty good track record
for the first 75,000 miles.

Trying to do your own auto repairs today is a lose-lose proposition,
IMHO.

Not if you have the foresight to learn all you can.

Life is finite. If you want to spend it learning how to fix cars that's
your privilege. I'd rather spend it learning to do things that I like to
do or things that get me the income to do things that I like to do.

Now you want to talk about diesel engine maintenance on a sail boat,
that's another matterG.

Lew

News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy