Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default What is involved with upgrading 150A service to 200A?

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 13:30:50 -0400, BillyBA wrote:

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 02:23:33 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
If you truly need 181A, you'd be popping the breaker now and again. How
often does that happen? That is a very large load so you must have a huge
house with electric heat. Very few homes have that type of load.

If you truly have a 181 A load, you need a larger factor than 200A provides.
Keep in mind, the labor to upgrade is pretty much the same if you go to 200
or 300A

I didn't say I was using the load NOW. I said I am finishing my basement, which
means I am calculating the load AFTER everything is installed. With the
addition of a heat pump, you have to add in compressor, air handler, AND the
heating element, which is really what pushed it over the 150A mark. I might
have been able to get by if it weren't for that.

Do you actually use the compressor and the heating element at the same
time?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com