Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Woodturning shavings. Uses?

On 7 Aug 2006 10:47:03 -0700, "massmans" wrote:

I turned some bowls this weekend and ended up with a large trash can
full of shavings.

Can they be used as mulch for gardening? Are there any other
recommendations for the use of the shavings.

I have mainly been turning Walnut, Cherry, Maple and Ash, if that
helps.

thanks,
Steve

Walnut is a bit iffy, but you can pile the shavings in a mound, allow
it to sit for 6-10 months, then use it as mulch. It will help to turn
the pile once or twice. If you use it immediately it will draw
nitrogen from the ground and may "starve" the plants. Blueberry
bushes are particularly fond of old sawdust.