Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default Woodturning shavings. Uses?

Hi Steve

Yes you can use them for a mulch, I have used them for years, keeps the
weeds down and conserves the soil moisture and especially keeps the
soils top layer's temperature from baking the hair roots when the
summer sun shines on it.

You could also mix some in with your other composting material and use
it that way.

I have also a few friends that come to pick some up for mulch and one
that uses it also in his poultry run.

I would not dig it in, in it's raw form, it will compete with the plant
roots for nitrogen to break down, and adding extra might give you other
problems, like to much leaf and no flowers, or spindly growth, just let
it break down above ground naturally.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

massmans wrote:
I turned some bowls this weekend and ended up with a large trash can
full of shavings.

Can they be used as mulch for gardening? Are there any other
recommendations for the use of the shavings.

I have mainly been turning Walnut, Cherry, Maple and Ash, if that
helps.

thanks,
Steve