Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
william kossack william kossack is offline

Default Woodturning shavings. Uses?

If there is walnut mixed don't try to use it in the garden.

Shavings should be aged/composted first before use in a garden. If I
have room I put shavings into the compost bin but I usually run out of room.

I also have a neighbor that has some small pets that live in cages. He
will come over and fill a box when I've turned cottonwood or aspen. It
saves him a bunch of money on buying commercially sold shavings used for
lining cages.

massmans wrote:
I turned some bowls this weekend and ended up with a large trash can
full of shavings.

Can they be used as mulch for gardening? Are there any other
recommendations for the use of the shavings.

I have mainly been turning Walnut, Cherry, Maple and Ash, if that
helps.

thanks,
Steve