Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,misc.survivalism
Robert Sturgeon Robert Sturgeon is offline

Default OT - Basic Skills in Today's World

On 7 Aug 2006 12:05:54 -0700, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

"And all they had to shock them was an inefficient social/economic
system, a
failed war in Afghanistan, and a nuclear power plant disaster."

Robert, you missed the BIG one.. the Cold War arms race caused them to
spend their society into the ground.

Yes, but that spending went on for 44 years, as did their
WWII spending for 4 years before that. But yes, you are
right that it did help ruin them.

Now consider where the United States (Republican) budget deficit stands
at this moment and ask yourself how close we are to the same situation.

A heck of a lot closer than we were in 2000.

Yes we are. And we will be even closer 10 years from now,
regardless of which party wins. Both parties favor ever
increasing spending. The only difference is in what they
want to spend the money on.

--
Robert Sturgeon
Summum ius summa inuria.