Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,misc.survivalism
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default OT - Basic Skills in Today's World

Mark Trudgill wrote:
The message
from "George E. Cawthon" contains these
words:

Mark Trudgill wrote:
The message
from "George E. Cawthon" contains these
words:

Retief wrote:
On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 23:21:51 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

COULD you butcher a hog, if you
really needed to?
Yes, BUT, because I can, I've got sense enough to let somebody else
do it.
No, you charge a fair bit to do the butchering operation, and hire a
"grunt" to do the hard parts (i.e. you supervise). The hog owner
get's his hog butchered correctly, your assistant gets food (a piece
of the action), and you get a big hunk of hog.

And everyone is happy and well fed...

Retief
How do you incorrectly butcher a hog?
Give a pig and a knife to someone who hasn't a clue and end up with
250lb of pork trimmings.

That isn't part of the scheme, he said he could
butcher it, so he must have a clue, probably way
more than a clue.

My point is there is no incorrect way as long as
one observes sanitary procedure, may not be the
way a professional does it and one may not end up
with the standard cuts. Maybe the total idiot
would prefer pork trimmings (whatever that is). I
usually end up with bite size pieces before I
stuff them in my mouth.

Feel free to roast mouth sized pieces.

Thanks. You buying? I'd prefer to BBQ them. But
soups are good, pork and beans, all sorts of
things you can do with scraps (I suppose he meant
little pieces). Of course bacon even a 10" strip
is just one bite when compressed.
Not to belabor the point, but I can't imagine
anyone cutting up a whole hog into scraps, way too
much work. OTOH, if I had to do it, I would
debone the whole thing.