Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,misc.survivalism
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default OT - Basic Skills in Today's World

John wrote:

Gunner wrote:

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 15:56:49 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

Blame the home builder. The last 4 homes that I have lived in have had
garages only big enough for cars. When I was a kid I recall most every "Man
of the house" was able to change a tire, make minor repairs and build items

from wood. This neighborhood was built just after WWII and every garage in

the neighborhood had at least 1 additional room attached for a work shop,
storage, and in my case the garage had 2 extra storage rooms and a maid's
quarters. All this detached from the main 1,200 sq. ft. 2 bedroom 1 bath
house. I do not recall any of these extra garage rooms not having some kind
of work area or work shop.

And home owner associations that forbid you from even leaving your
garage door open for more than 30 minutes.

A house in most new developments is no longer a home..but a place to
sleep, and park your fat ass in front of the TV

Gunner

Anyone that likes to live in a controlled enviorment gets what they
deserve.

You have to get approval to do just about anything around your house.
You even need a fart licence or they lock you up.

John

They sure do sound like my idea of hell.

I've always held the opinion that my property rights extend as far as my
property line and my neighbors should be free to do anything that's
legal they want to their property as long as it doesn't create an
imminent danger or an audible, foul odored or a physical intrusion over
the property line.

If my next door neighbor decides he wants to paint his house to look
like it's covered with tartan plaid with a black and white striped
chimney or forgos cuttting his grass for two months, so be it. I can
probably screen out the view from my side if I'm so inclined.

In fact, that's just what I did two years ago when my next door neighbor
had some major improvements done to his home which left me looking at a
pretty ugly looking "rubble wall":

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/mmiv.html

The bushes I planted in 2004 have grown so they now just about block out
all view of the messy job his contractors did.

To my neighbor's credit, when he saw me schlepping those arborvitae
bushes home in the trunk of my car three at a time and planting them
over several weekends, he came over and insisted on paying for them. He
wouldn't take "no" for an answer so we settled on his writing a
comparable sized check to a local charity we support. Everyone won that way.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)