Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] noos999@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default repairing plasterboard after removing tiles

Hi all

I removed some old tiles in the kitchen, resulting in the following
issues:

1/ In one area (20 x 30 cm approx) most of the underlying plasterboard
came off when I removed the tiles. Luckily this area will have new
tiles put on, so I don't need to make a perfectly seamless repair.
Would the best thing be to cut back the plasterboard to make a
clean-edged hole and cut a rectangle of new plasterboard to fit? The
plasterboard had been stuck onto the underlying breeze blocks with a
dab of something, can anyone tell me what I should use to stick the new
piece of plasterboard to the breeze blocks? Can I use Easi-Fill to fill
the gap between the new and old plasterboard?

2/ In another area, some more minor damage was caused: in places the
top layer of paper on the plasterboard tore, so I'm left with brown
'furry' paper exposed, and in places bare plasterboard. I wasn't
intending to retile this area, so I'm hoping to get the wall back to a
suitable state to be able to paint over it. Would be sensible to try to
skim over with Easi-Fill and sand down afterwards? Do I need to seal
the brown furry paper and/or the bare plasterboard areas before using
the Easi-Fill? Do I need to seal the Easi-Fill before painting over it?

many thanks for any advice on these topics

Julian