Posted to alt.home.repair
Rytis Sileika Rytis Sileika is offline

Default Loft conversion - reinforcing floor joists

Hi,

I'm planning of converting my loft into a bedroom. It's not going to be
big, approx 5x4m in St.Helier type of terraced house.
I'm not going to ask any specific questions so far, just few general
ones:

- Has anyone done reinfocement of floor joists yourself? If so, any
gotchas? I'm planning to run the steel planks (3in wide, 3-4 mm thick)
along each beam (top and bottom). In addition to that, I'm going to
joint adjacing beams every xx in. I believe that would make frame sound
enough to support the floor and a tiny ammount of furniture that's
going in there, but haven't thought through on how to reinfoce
beams-to-wall fixing yet...
- Anyone got some good DIY links, or readings that would help?

Thanks,
Rytis