Posted to rec.woodworking
BurledVeneer BurledVeneer is offline

Default Ready to finish Lane Waterfall Chest

I have prepared a 1946 Lane Cedar Chest for finishing. I don't know
what finish is the best. I have done some research on the web and the
only thing alluding to the original process was a posting that Lane
used a 12 step process involving nitrocellulose laquer. When I looked
into the products available of that type, it mentioned applying another
step before the lacquer. There doesn't seem to be alot of information
on the original process that they used beyond that. If anyone has an
expert opinion on the best way to finish one of these chests, I would
appreciate it. My chest is exactly identical to the Sweetheart chest
shown in this advertisement from 1946, and I think the woods are burled
walnut and mahogany veneers?

I would really appreciate any advice as I don't want to ruin this
piece's value.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Ad-LANE...QQcmdZViewItem