Posted to uk.d-i-y
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default Alarm system - does it need a professional?

David Hansen wrote:
On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 12:25:36 +0100 someone who may be Timothy Murphy
wrote this:-

Are alarm systems akin to brain-surgery,
or are they in the bicycle-puncture bracket?

They are very simple, or rather the sort of alarm systems one buys
commercially are very simple.

However, "insurance" companies generally specify that such things
can only be done by "professionals" if the "insurance" "policy" is
to be valid.

Therefore you need to be sure why you would want to do this yourself
and what the implications are.

My insurance company was pleased to give me the "alarm" discount even
though it is self installed and maintained. There is a rider that if I
have a burglary and the alarm does not go off then I pay an excess, but
this would apply to a professional alarm as well.