Posted to sci.engr.joining.welding,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,misc.survivalism
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default OT - Basic Skills in Today's World

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 21:09:01 -0500, "Jeff McCann"
wrote:

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 17:52:56 -0700, Robert Sturgeon
wrote:

Sometimes it doesn't. At the height of the Roman Empire,
Rome had a population of around 1,000,000. By the late
Middle Ages, that was down to less than 10,000, and wolves
were roaming the streets. Various other societies have gone
through collapses that were as bad, if not worse. Contrary
to what we like to think, things can, in fact, go Very
Badly. There is no reason to suppose that we are somehow
immune.

========================
This was addressed at some length in my dissertation in Appendix
A -- THE LINEAR AND ACCRETION MODELS OF ECONOMIC EVOLUTION

[snip]
(For example
Rousseau 1712-1778 and Gibbons 1737-1794 )[snip]

How did your dissertation advisor feel about such obvious proofing errors?
What was your dissertation for, and when and where was it accepted?
Published? Just curious.

Jeff

===============
I am not sure how obvious an "s" on Gibbon is. I hope this did
not interrupt the flow too badly when you were reading the
section.

Dissertation was for
EdD
Oklahoma State University, 1999
(Stillwater, Oklahoma)
Occupational and Adult Education

I was one of the last two graduates from that
department/discipline. The other was a very good friend from
Brazil and we still email about vocational/technical education in
our countries.

Several problems.

I used endnotes and these don't come over [well] when doing a
cut-n-paste to "text only" newsgroup postings.

I have made three moves since graduation and when I finely got
around to converting the formatted and proofed MS doc file [done
by some very talented dissertation typists] into pdf format for
posting on my web site after I retired and had time, I discovered
that several parts of the final file were unreadable, so had to
use my unformatted block left working files. The appendix was
one of those sections.

Unka George
(George McDuffee)

....and at the end of the fight is a tombstone white
with the name of the late deceased, and
the epitaph drear:
“A Fool lies here, who tried to hustle the East.”

Rudyard Kipling The Naulahka, ch. 5, heading (1892).