Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strong acid for toilets

Darren Clarke wrote:
I have a thick limescale problem that domestic cleaners aren't shifting
so I'd like to use one of the more heavy duty cleaners, but I don't know
which one to buy or how to use it.

Can I buy them in Wickes, how much do they cost, do I need to remove the
water from the bowl first, how long do I leave it soak for and do I need
to neutralise the acid before flushing? The bulk of it is under the
waterline (around the bend) but there's also a thin coating around the
rim and I think a lot is built up under it because a couple of times
I've tried using the shower head to blast hot and cold water under the
rim and this has made big chunks of limescale crack and fall off.

I imagine, like domestic cleaning products, some brands are good and
others are very poor, so which should I get? If they're expensive, would
i be just as good to pour down a cheap bottle of Happy Shopper vinegar
and leave it overnight?

Get some brick acid. 5 quid for 5 liters. HCL at 30% IIRC

Be careful on chrome tho.

Sulphuric is better still allegedly.

However almost any acid works given time. A regular addition of
something to the cistern is a good start for maintenance.

The round the bend stuff is actually easy. Simply pour a cupful of acid
in last thing at night for a while.

The under the rim is less so, as it tends to dry up. The gel type loo
cleaners are not bad..expensive though.