Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles John Stumbles is offline

Default Strong acid for toilets

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 11:00:31 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 10:33:21 +0100, Darren Clarke wrote:

I have a thick limescale problem that domestic cleaners aren't shifting so
I'd like to use one of the more heavy duty cleaners, but I don't know
which one to buy or how to use it.

A good heavy duty descaler is Fernox Descaler, it's sold at Homebase among
other places and is intended for descaling of boiler systems and pipework
and for heavy duty industrial and domestic descaling. You really don't need
an aggressive acid such as hydrochloric (muriatic) acid which is available
from some suppliers. Sulphamic acid which is the acid used in the majority
of domestic descalers is perfectly adequate.

Another good one is Kilrock-k (inhibited formic acid). It goes through
limescale like a dose of salts but the fumes are unpleasant so don't hang
around after adding it.