Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default Fixing Shelves to Plasterboard Walls

Steven Campbell wrote:
I know the general advice so far is don't, but my last house was all
plasterboard and these walls held 5 feet central heating radiators with
no problem, which are a hell of a weight when full of water.

They will have used patresses or found the studding.

Now I come to think about it, our kitchen units are all attached to
plasterboard walls and not via the studs either. These are also some
weight by the time the dishes etc are in them.

The base units might be fixed to the wall but a lot of the rigidity is
from the worktop and their interconnection.

The top units might have a batton behind them in the recess designed
for them or the fitter may have screwed though into the brickwork.

Sorry I should have added that our kitchen is in an extension that wasn't
originally designed as a kitchen. The units are directly attached to the
plasterboard via the hollow fixings. And like I said, are rock solid.

Either way you were lucky. I have no doubt the tiles are now taking
some of the weight of the top cabinets. If you -or anyone reading, do
ever get a problem with them, just gripfill and screw a baton under
them.

You might take them down and put a baton behind. There is usually just
enough room for a PAR 2 x 1 to fit between the sides behind the
hardboard backing.