Dave Gibson

Default Garage Lighting

"PoP" wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 16:23:54 +0100, "Dave Gibson"
wrote:

Fluorescent tubes with reflectors are the best sources of light for a
workshop IMHO.

Perhaps I've been slightly worried about using rotating machinery (saw
bench, drill, etc) under flourescent lighting. I was led to believe
that flourescent lights were prone to producing strobe effects.

Whilst it is true that the light from a fluorescent is not constant, it does
not turn on and off as some suggest, but merely slightly changes brightness
at a 100Hz rate due to the persistence in the tube phosphor integrating the
electron bombardment over time --- as it were!. I have a pillar drill, a
myford 7 and a woodworking lathe and can't honestly say its ever been a
problem. At certain revs you can perceive a slight moving pattern on the
chucks, but nothing more than that.

Dave