Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default What is involved with upgrading 150A service to 200A?

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 21:01:28 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

Exactly how did you determine that you have a load of 181 amps. I hope you
didn't just add up all the amp ratings of your breakers. I only have a 100
amp service, yet I manage to run a whole house with electric cook top,
double electric ovens, all the other electrical equipment, an office with 4
computers with a large UPS to supply them, air conditioning, a full
woodworking workshop, etc. etc. and I have never had problems with capacity.
Double check your figures, remember it is so rare to have "everything"
running simultaneously, that it never really happens to most people.

I think about that (about not using all loads at the same time) when I
consider the electrical load of all my holiday lights. Some people
might think I need upgraded service, but all those lights use less
than the central A/C, which is not on at that time.

"BIOSMonkey" wrote in message
.. .
I am finishing my basement, and am in the process of doing electrical.
I did a load calc and came up with 181A, but my main panel is 150A.

So I need to upgrade to a 200A main panel. When I asked an
electrician about it he implied it was a really big deal, and the
"whole house needed to be brought up to code". I don't know what he
means by that? The meter is CL200 which I believe means it is rated
for 200A service so it looks like you just need to change the panel.
What am I missing?

I know that if the buried service cables were sized only for 150A then
I am in trouble and am looking at some big bucks to change, but as I
said the meter appears to be 200A rated. Could the utility have
installed cables for 150A anyway? That seems incredibly dangerous if
they did since someone might assume the system could handle 200A!

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com